Third Places - Random Post #2

Third Places
We all need one

What is the third place, and how are we losing it in today's world? Honestly, I first heard about this term when I took a communication class at Annenberg, as I embarked on the start of my minor. This term made me think about how important it is to expose ourselves to different environments and people to be able to expand, grow, and learn. However, as a society, we are moving away from putting ourselves in environments that encapsulate this idea of a “third place.” This is due to the fact that society is now set up in a way that allows us to be so comfortable in the confinement of our homes - which has only been exacerbated with COVID - and it's sad because we are missing out on the true human experience we should all be having.

After hearing about this term and doing further reading and TikTok dives into the benefits of having a third place, it has made me more willing to seek them out. The third place is somewhere separate from work and home, free of hierarchy and judgment, and consists of novel human interactions that dispel you from the cyclical act of everyday normality and allow you to relish in new and distinct spaces with enriching interactions.

The rise of technology means that this “third place” is becoming emulated in online platforms. With the internet these days being so realistic and almost representative of real-life interactions, the debate becomes: can online platforms, networks, and chat rooms replace the physical “third place”? In my opinion, no, but the sad truth is that for most people, it is. We are losing the separation between reality and virtual settings, and it is contributing to the demise of our social interactions as generations. This has negative ramifications on our social skills, but most importantly, our mental health if we continue blurring the lines separating our realities.

Personally, and most may disagree, I think the gym can be a form of a third place. It doesn't (usually) meet the requirement of being a space that is free for all, however. Also, some may argue that it is ridden with hierarchy as people can be constantly looking and comparing themselves to one another, or simply go in with no intent to talk or interact. That being said, I believe it is a third place for me because of the sustained human interaction perspective I have towards my time there. I go in and see regulars, I interact and have actual meaningful conversations, I see myself growing and getting more confident, I learn novel things, and I come out feeling rejuvenated both physically and mentally. The gym allows me to escape from my conventional home and school setting and understand myself in a new dimension by forgetting about the external factors in my “normal” life that can sometimes weigh me down.

I do think that I need to find more ways to incorporate third places in my life as I am realizing I am going to graduate soon and enter adult life - so it will be a vital part of my sanity. 

What do you think your third place is?


Comments

  1. Hey Christine,
    Thank you for your post. It easy to get lost in the everyday chaos of life so having a "third place" to get away from this is important. I don't think that a virtual third place has the same impact as a physical one, but as technology evolves it is a reality we might face one day. Personally, I believe my third place is the park. Whether I am there walking around or playing soccer, it is so easy to clear my mind and relax.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Consultants Uncovered: Job Description

Purely Elizabeth - AMPD Investment Proposal

World We Imagine - Part #1