The WayFinders - Initial Thoughts (#1)

The WayFinders

Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World 

I think instantly I felt connected to this book because it reminded me of Sapiens by Yuval Harari. I enjoyed reading that book because it really sliced up why we as humans interact and act how we do. It helps us see how we are an accumulation of our past and how much more unique, connected, and special we are. I had also taken a class called Theory of Knowledge (TOK) in highschool and a paper which I thoroughly enjoyed writing was literally about understanding the importance of past knowledge and how much of an enhancer of the creation of new knowledge it is. 


That being said, I do place value in understanding the past because there is so much rich culture and history that in the end helps us understand ourselves. Our lives are short but our legacies, our cultures, and our connections live beyond us - so learning these vast ranges of knowledge through exposure is so crucial. 


After reading summaries I was excited to see the diverse range of communities reflected throughout. The Polynesian Wayfinders in specific are interesting because I once was reading about the uniqueness of their language (whilst doing a study on dying languages) and how it is catered to help guide people through such harsh seas with no other navigation technologies. They remove the “I” and their language is how the world is relative to you, not you being relative to the world. They believe that we as humans should be in appreciation of our surroundings. 


Learning more about them alongside other cultures and traditions - especially the one researched in Southern Africa should be an interesting read. These communities of people, though we see them as almost primitive, have survived in environments and carried cultures far beyond us and it's important to understand how and why; for the sake of our modernist and developing society to not lose touch with what really matters in the world. 


Comments

  1. Hi Christine!
    I love learning more about human interaction–especially when it doesn't read like a fact by fact history textbook. I always appreciate the kind of learning that you describe experiencing reading this book, and I enjoyed your take on what is clearly a really great read! Maybe I should read this book, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Consultants Uncovered: Job Description

Purely Elizabeth - AMPD Investment Proposal

World We Imagine - Part #1