America Like Me - Initial Thoughts (#1)

 "America Like Me"

Initial reflections on book by America Ferrera

The reason behind my choosing of this book was primarily because it would be interesting how unconventionally the chapters are structured. Instead of one long book about one story, each chapter provides a new storyline with new real-life characters and new feelings. I was even more intrigued when I proceeded to see how the stories were from notable people such as Liza Koshy, Reshma Saujani, and Padma Lakshmi. I, myself, am a third-world-culture child, living in a different country than where I was born in and where my parents are from. So, it is fascinating to read how others in similar situations are using their unique backgrounds, hardships, and culture to embrace who they are and make a name for themselves. I am navigating the world of America at a PWI, and I am searching for inspiration and solace in knowing that I am a part of shared experiences and, despite any odds, I can make a name for myself and surpass expectations.


According to my kindle, I am 20% through the book, and it has been a delightful read. The story-telling has not been slow, the plots progress fast but still in an encapsulating nature, and there is a vibrant mix between dialogue and description. As I have been reading, I have been highlighting empowering quotes and beautifully encapsulating emotions that describe how I feel in the center of this dichotomy of drastically different worlds. My favorite so far has been, “when you submit your will to other people’s opinion, a part of you dies” and “I was beginning to learn that bravery is like a muscle, and once you flex it, you can’t stop. And being authentic requires a lot of bravery”. I am avidly reading through the book any free time I have. I cannot wait to continue exploring other people’s experiences (I am in the middle of Bambadjan Bambas’s story now), unpacking and understanding their emotions, and hopefully continue to ignite the spark to keep exploring myself in these foreign and sometimes uncomfortable settings knowing I am not alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consultants Uncovered: Job Description

Purely Elizabeth - AMPD Investment Proposal

World We Imagine - Part #1