who you are matters
1. I am from entrepreneurs, risk takers, and trendsetters. I am from a father and mother who lived below the poverty line in rural villages in Ethiopia but graduated top of their class. I am from Uganda where I grew up my whole life; a hidden cultural mecca filled with the kindest of people and the best food. But I am also from Seattle, where the rain always acts as a sense of comfort.
2. I am going in the direction of creating lasting change, in the direction ridden of oblivion. I want to impact lives of those less fortunate, I want to make a name for myself, and I want everyone around me to reach their fullest potential to live a successful life. Ideally this would be through social entrepreneurship ventures.
3. By surrounding myself with likeminded people, putting myself in unexpected rooms to open doors, and learning to be comfortable with the uncomfortable. The only way I can impact others is if I can push myself to new boundaries and this requires knowledge, relationships, experience, and adventure.
4. Like my parents, I value quality. Be it in food, relationships, clothes, or school, I value spending my time and resources intaking what is good for me.
5. Unlike my parents, I am not afraid of the unexpected. I enjoy not knowing what exactly is going to happen; living one moment at a time. I value adventure and risk while they are risk averse and bask in familiarity which does bar them from trying new things. I love life and feel the want to try and see everything.
6. Expectations from my family, especially being the oldest of boys, were driving forces of a lot of my high-school decision and ventures. However, as I disconnected from home and entered college, it become about what was socially expected of me – hence what students around me were doing and if I was doing the same or better. However, after much exposure I do believe that I am operating under my own expectations as I know my capabilities and only to push myself where I feel I will gain, learn, or help others.
7. Mannat Bakshi; my junior manager during my consulting internship in New York. She was a solid 5’2 but walked into every room and commanded it. She was intelligent, creative, personable, and was able to set her boundaries by knowing her value and never compromising. She knew she needed time to work-out, cook her meals, and spend time with friends and she never was shy of asking. She had so many pockets of wisdom, balanced her work incredibly, and had entrepreneurial spirit.
8. Cheetah. They are known to value freedom and autonomy. They are selectively empathetic, observant and can logically improvise. Most importantly, they are adventurous, independent, and friendly.
9. The mango tree besides the pool in our backyard. There are usually monkeys that come and on this particular day I had been swimming with my brothers when they came. They started picking mangos and eating them when one coincidently fell in the pool. It was perfectly ripe so we joined in on eating with them.
10.
Sun = Sagittarius
Moon = Pisces
Rising Sign = Aries
Hi Christine!
ReplyDeleteYour backstory immediately caught my eye. Ethiopia is on my family’s travel bucket list, for sure. There are a series of Ethiopian restaurants down Fairfax in LA that my parents have been taking my brother and I to since we were kids. Have you tried any here? It would be interesting to hear your opinions!
- Lieza
Hi Christine! I really enjoyed reading your post and learning a bit about your story. I think it is really cool that that you are not afraid of the unexpected and that you can fully live in the moment and take it one thing at a time. That is sadly not something I can relate to, maybe some day. I loved your story about the mango tree in your backyard, I also have one as well, however I do not have a fun story as good as yours that comes from it.
ReplyDelete