Consultants Uncovered: Job Description

Consultants Uncovered   

If you talk to someone and ask them a question but leave the conversation more confused than when you entered it, you are talking to a consultant. No one really knows what consultants do, and most of the time, consultants themselves struggle to answer this question. I hope to shed light on this unknown so others can understand helpful we are to the functioning of successful businesses.
No one path leads to a career in consultancy. Honestly, the more diverse one’s background, the more valuable they are toward projects. There is a heavy emphasis on providing the most well-researched knowledge to your client to guide clearly-thought-out recommendations. This assures feasible implementation strategies while preventing similar issues from arising. Some like to say consultants are like doctors of the business world, and here are some things to justify this title:
  • Diagnose a problem and holistically learn about it 
  • Pull together pieces of knowledge from primary and secondary sources
  • Work with client to put in place solutions to prevent future predicaments
Case Example
Let’s see how this plays out in a sample “dummy” case. 
Let’s say a government division came to a consulting agency with an issue of not being able to supply money to small businesses. This problem has persisted in the company for decades and stunts growth for many relying on the services of these businesses. Consultants are called to help create a new and efficient process flow, departments, and strategies for example. This aids in finding the bottleneck in the system and not only eradicate it but they are also tasked with optimizing efficiency by a certain percentage
The issue now resides in the fact that there are so many facets to the problem with such a little time frame. Consultants have to interview all organization members, stakeholders, employees, banks, governments, and any other entity tied to the process. After this primary research, we move into solution based research which could consist of looking at companies in similar situations and devising a plan based on foundations they changed. After all this research, we draw a process map; one with many branches but with such granular detail to exhaust all possible situations. This is then trialed and tested to see specific outcomes and levels of efficiency with varying scenarios. We then present to partners and CEO’s who also have to approve everything every step of the way.
After the tedious process of creating a new strategy, we now have to sit with the client and tell them how to implement it and walk them through everything. This can include training staff, enhancing websites, organizing information, restructuring the line of command, re-writing forms, going about marketing differently, setting up new offices, and so much more

What It Takes
This means, to be a consultant you need to possess some of the following traits: 
  • Open-mindedness
  • Creativity 
  • Flexibility
And here are a few technical skills that would aid you but are not necessary to have before entering this practice: 
  • Data modeling and data analytics 
  • Excel and PowerPoint
  • Professional writing
You also can’t forget these phrases which will magically slip into your vocabulary by the nature of how much you use them:
  • Let’s circle back 
  • What’s the north star 
  • I am on the beach
Becoming Strong
The level of detail, back and forth, approval, and confidentiality throughout each process are intense and mentally fatiguing. People are paying to have their problems solved, so it is up to you to deplete every possible way of doing it to propose to them the best one. You can work for hours on something one day and have it tossed out the next, but you need the mental resilience to keep going. The satisfaction at the end, knowing you are helping other people succeed, is very fulfilling. Especially if one is working in the social or startup sector or relishes seeing first-hand the impact of their work.
Diversity Within 
There are many types of consulting companies out there, and there are many types of consultants. Here are a few examples of the kinds of consultants: 
  • Tech Consultants 
  • Management Consultant  
  • Financial Consultant
And here are a few notorious companies in this field: 
  • McKinsey (management and tech focus)
  • Deloitte (accounting focus)
  • Public Consulting Group (health and education focus)
Exit Opportunities
Usually, consultancy is very mentally demanding, and most people only stay for a short time. It is one of those things you do out of college for 3-5 years and then progress to something more sustainable for a work-life balance, or you work upwards to a partner or senior position. Most exit options for consultants are into CEO or prominent senior positions because companies recognize the problem-solving and analytical skills gained throughout these years. Not only this, but consultants work cross-functionally across many sectors.
During my time with a consulting company, I was lucky enough to only work in one field to gain mastery and depth. Still, I had other peers who worked two-week sprints. First, it would be banking, then healthcare, then insurance, and then startups. With each of these projects, they needed to have a certain level of mastery of the field to understand how to address the provision of solutions and any intricacies that may arise. This level of cross-functional knowledge and in-depth thinking elasticity is valuable because, in, lets say 5 years, one can gain a lifetime of knowledge. This brings me back to exit opportunities, which include: 
  • CEO of fortune 500 companies
  • Private equity and venture capitalists 
  • Public policy/government roles
Final Thoughts
So, despite consultants having a poor reputation in the workforce, most fail to understand the nuance and complexity of the work. On the surface level, it may seem simplified (again, this can be in attempts to maintain secrecy). Still, statistically, there is a rise in the need for consultants and their ability to draw on expertise and knowledge for innovative and productive change. This is especially crucial with the rise of new technologies, small businesses, saturated markets, and rapid changes in government and political rules and regulations.

Ratings: 

Grammarly



Hemingway





Comments

  1. Hey Christine, your description of consulting is spot on. There are so many facets to "consulting" as its a blanket term. I also did an internship in consulting this last summer and it's awesome to see another person's point of view on the matter. I enjoyed reading you lay out consulting in different ways, as opposed to how I only focused on management consulting. I can closely relate to that feeling of satisfaction knowing you brought a startup or established company closer to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine! Similar to what Alexis commented, your description of consulting is very accurate to things I've read and heard about this career. I thought it was funny how you said that consultants often don't know how to describe their line of work (that's so true!), but being the "doctors of the business world" is a great way to put it. Regarding the section on exit opportunities, I definitely agree that consulting, for most people, can be a very short-lived career early on after graduating. But after, consulting can open so many doors to different career paths because of all the transferrable skills and experiences you gain from working with such diverse clients. I think it's a very admirable career path and it seems like a lot of fun! Unfortunately for me, I decided against a career in consulting due to a lack of work-life balance as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christine, loved reading your post, I learnt a lot! As someone who has just entered the world of business and is surrounded by consulting-related experiences, and peers looking to get into the industry, your text resonated with me. I hadn't heard of consulting before my recent arrival at USC, but even though I have slowly grown familiar with the field and its demands, you have provided the most complete description, explanation, and insight I've come across! The nuance and high demands of consultancy were made apparent to me, while I also discovered the strenuous process of the work, and high value assigned to consultants by employers. Thank you for enlightening this field of work for me, and best of luck for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine,
    This is probably one of the best descriptions I've read about a consultant. As a business major myself I sometimes have a hard time explaining to people what a consultant really does, however you got it down. Great work overall, loved the different examples and layout you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine ! I am so impressed by your description of a consultant. I believe the tone you used was very informative but also felt like we were having a conversation. I appreciated how not only you used skilled descriptions to explain the role but also your characteristics that are overlooked like open-mindedness. I also really enjoyed how you mentioned the "exit" opportunities for consulting. I agree that the roles can be seen as short-lived, but in reality they are a stepping stone for gathering critical characteristics of those who become high-level executives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine,
    I enjoyed reading your post about what it's like to be a consultant. You did a great job detailing the different elements of being a consultant and I really like how you provided an example case and some exit opportunities. I think the exit opportunities were a nice touch and they help me get an idea of all the great opportunities that exist after consulting. I appreciate your different approach to this blog and I feel like it worked out really well. Well done!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine,
    I like how you organized your job description! It was very easy to understand with the breakdowns (headings) and personal examples you included. I also like the sample case study you included to help explain the role further. It helped me picture what consultants do everyday in my head. Overall, it was very easy to read and a great explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christine! Thank you for writing about consulting, I really enjoyed reading it! I've been looking into consulting recently and this helped me get a better understanding for what I'd be getting myself into. Aside from reading through the case study example, my favorite part was that you included exit strategies! It seems like sometimes people like to ignore the importance of a work-life balance, so I'm glad you wrote about it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Christine! I really liked your approach to the task. For anyone wanting to get into the industry of business consulting your post would be the perfect crash course. It was detailed, and for someone who never thought of considering IB before, you managed to make the job more fun than I would have previously thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine, I concur with your classmates -- enjoyed the description, good examples, well-written, nice "tone." Did the post feel a little long? Maybe. I don't know if I joked about this in your class yesterday, but I'm particularly attuned to the phrase "the rise of" -- makes me chuckle, maybe because it's overused and in certain cases "grandiose" (i.e., inflating the importance of something). So, I giggled because your final paragraph has "rise of" not once, but TWICE! So, not to take away from the fact that you are a very compelling writer -- BUT, watch out for repetition and redundancy. And, if you want nit-picky? First paragraph had a word missing: "...so others can understand [HOW?] helpful we are..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purely Elizabeth - AMPD Investment Proposal

World We Imagine - Part #1